Compbrella guide for choosing The Best Weighted Blankets
Weighted blankets are used to lessen anxiety. They used to be primarily to help patients with autism or sensory issues, a condition that creates difficulties for people with heightened sensitivity, to help them focus. This treatment also improves emotions in addition to behavior. It’s most useful to alleviate the symptoms of anxiety, ADHD, and even PTSD
How do weighted blankets work?
The best-weighted blankets work by putting pressure on the body. This increases melatonin and serotonin flow in the brain and causes a sense of euphoria and calm. The blankets weigh between 10-25 pounds and are usually filled with pellets. This causes the weight to be distributed evenly over the body. This recreates the feeling of someone holding you while you sleep, leading to a deeper sleep that helps alleviate anxiety. In order to maximize the effectiveness, you need to buy a blanket that suits your needs
What are the health benefits of weighted blankets?
Weighted blankets have many health benefits for adults and teens and can help almost anyone with trouble sleeping:
- Stress and anxiety relief is the major benefit of the blankets. They’re designed to create a sense of calm and relaxation, leading to a night of restful sleep and to a clear, healthy morning. This has also been shown to alleviate symptoms of PTSD.
- ADHD can be detrimental to one’s sleep patterns. Weighted blankets focus your attention on the pressure on your body rather than on the thousands of thoughts running through your head at the end of the day. If you’re an adult with ADHD or have a child with autism, this can improve their sleep dramatically due to the deep touch pressure stimulation.
- Restless leg syndrome is another ailment that can be alleviated by a weighted blanket. Patients have reported that the added weight on the legs alleviates the sensations on their legs and allows them to focus.
How do I choose the weighted blanket that’s right for me?
Since blankets are designed to alleviate tension in your body you need to pick the blanket that’s right for you. Depending on who you are you may need to figure out what’s the best weighted blanket for your insomnia or anxiety and this depends on a few parameters:
- Weight is crucial to choosing the right blanket. Mostly, a heavy blanket should be 10% of your weight. This is the perfect weight to achieve the therapeutic effects without suffocating under a heavy blanket. Remember, you’re supposed to feel comfortable, so if you feel the blanket too oppressive or hot, it’s too heavy.
- Size is equally important. It’s important to remember that you’re buying a blanket for your body, not the whole bed and not your spouse. Consider what you need the blanket for. Restless need a blanket to cover them but don’t need to it be big enough to cover your whole body. On the other hand, if your suffering from anxiety, you’ll want a blanket that ensconces you in warmth and pressure.
- Thickness a direct correlation of weight and size, is also important. These blankets need to be thicker than a regular quilt because they’re filled with stuffing. The thickness should be 0.5 to 1-inch thick approximately.
Compbrella Pick for Top 3 Weighted Blankets
Best overall: YnM Weighted Blanket, YnM uses a special seven-layer system to hug your body and take your shape so you feel as comfortable and calm as can be while the higher glass beads to fiber ratio insulate you to create a warm environment. YnM believes in their product so much they provide free mending.
Best design: Hypnoser Weighted Blanket, This luxuriously designed blanket will keep you calm for years to come. Using precision computer programmed sewing, the blanket evenly distributes glass beads over your body to maximize mental and physical well being.
Best value: ZonLi Adults Weighted Blanket, Combining multiple layers of microfibers, beads, and fabric, this weighted blanket is perfect for children and adults alike. The stately color palette matches any room it’s in and ZonLi’s 24-hour customer is there to solve any problem and even provide a full refund if needed.
Why you should trust us
Compbrella was founded by a group of entrepreneurs with over twenty years of experience working in retail, electronics, and e-commerce. Over the years, we have spent endless hours writing and revising consumer guides, interviewing customers about the products they enjoyed using and talking to an untold number of technicians about why some products fail and others don’t. We draw from our own experiences about what products a household needs and what we use in our everyday lives. If we’re reviewing a product, it means we one of us has it in their home and thinks it, or a different version would be a great addition to your homes. We stand by our recommendations because we make them to each other first.