Compbrella Guide to The Best Steam Mops
Tiles are some of the hardest surfaces to clean. Depending on what kind of layout you have, there’s almost no limit to the amount of grime and dirt that can be trapped in between the tiles. What’s worse, most regular floor cleaners and mops won’t cut it and really clean and disinfect the area. Steam mops are the ideal solution. They’re an affordable and powerful appliance that can bring new life to your floors and tiled walls.
How Do Steam Mops work?
Steam mops work by heating up water in the tank to 248 degrees Fahrenheit. This steam flows from the nozzle through a microfibre pad underneath. The high-temperature steam soaks the pad and draws dirt off the ground. The steam kills 99% of bacteria and mites, disinfecting floor and tiles while removing stains.
What kind of surfaces can Steam Mops clean?
Steam mops are safe to use with solid floors made from glazed tile, sealed granite, or other types of sealed stone floors. A good mop should be able to steam off years of built-up grime off of floor and bathroom tiles, leaving them clean and sanitized.
Steam mops aren’t recommended for every floor type. While some manufacturers claim that they can be used on a variety of hard floors, including laminate, tile, and sealed wood, user reports are mixed. Wood floors, in particular, are tricky because there might be cracks and crevices where water is trapped and cause damage. In addition, hot steam on an old wax wood finish will cause clouding and make your floor look dirtier.
What to look for when shopping for a Steam Mop?
When you go to buy your steam mop, there are several things you should consider.
- Multitasker: Look for a steamer that will also pick up dry debris. That way you won’t have to sweep before steaming.
- Adjustable Steam Settings: Make sure your model can let you adjust the steam output to match your type of floor and the amount of dirt being removed. This will prevent overexposure to moisture and damage to the floor.
- Cords: This may seem obvious but make sure you buy a steam mop with a long enough cord to get around your home. Just like with a vacuum cleaner, there’s nothing more annoying than cleaning a bit, unplugging, and looking for a more convenient outlet.
- Flexible Cleaners: Models that can fold flat or have telescoping handles are ideal for those hard-to-reach spots. Swivel heads are also very helpful for those areas. This will ensure a thorough job and not leave behind and dirt.
- Storage Solutions: Make sure to pick up a steam mop that comes with a landing pad or tray to place it on. This will protect your floors while the mop is in storage. For added convenience, looks for a model that stands upright.
- Large Water Tank: The bigger the water tank, the more water it holds and the longer you can use it without refilling. Buying a model with a removable tank is even better because you can fill it up easier than with models that have a connected tank.
- Power Switch: Look for a model with a builtin switch instead of one that turns on when you plug it into the outlet This is safer, more convenient, and will prolong the steam mop’s life.
Compbrella Pick for Top 3 Best Steam Mops
Best Overall: BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop – The Bissel has a cleaning head that is the most flexible on the market, capable of reaching all the inconvenient spots. In addition, the water tank is convenient and easy to remove, while its operations are less complicated than any of its competitors. It’s lightweight, has a 23-foot power cord and allows you to set the level of steam you need for any job you have.
2nd Best: Shark Genius Hard Floor Cleaning System Pocket (S5003D) Steam Mop – The Shark Steam Mop features both a steam mop and a spray pocket mop so you have all your cleaning needs covered. It’s more powerful than the Bissel, and it lets you use multiple cloth mop heads per session, so this is clearly a machine made for heavier work. Despite that, it’s lightweight, very maneuverable, and stores easily.
Best Value: LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Steam Mop – This steam mop is super lightweight and has a flexible mop head and 20ft of long cable, so you’ll be maneuvering it about your home with ease any time you clean. It has a high-temperature steamer that will provide a steady powerful stream of steam in under 30 seconds and even comes with a one year warranty and 24-hour customer service.