Compbrella Guide to The Best walk behind Lawn Mower of 2019
Summer is here and with it that weekly pastime: mowing the lawn. While it can be quite a chore, choosing the right lawnmower is crucial to making it easier and leaving your lawn pristine. Lawn mowers today can be pushed or, if you have a really big lawn, ridden like a golf cart. Riding lawn mowers are great if you need one and Compbrella has you covered with a guide to just that, but today we’re going to focus on classic lawn mowers that you need to push yourself.
What are the main types of walk-behind Lawn Mowers?
Lawn mowers come in two basic types, gas and battery-powered.
- Gas fueled lawn mowers are tried and true home staples. They can cut a 22 swath of grass and can handle the roughest terrain, be it thick grass or overgrown weeds. Their initial cost tend to be less than electric lawn mowers and run much longer but in the long run, you may end up spending more on fuel and maintenance. They’re powerful machines and can handle larger yards but this also makes them noisy and produce gas emissions unlike the battery-powered mowers.
- Battery mowers today are just as powerful as their gas counterparts. They can cut comparable swaths of grass but usually run for less time than gas. Maintenance is much easier than gas-powered mowers as well. Rather than filling up with gas and tuning up the motor all you need is to occasionally recharge the lithium-ion batteries. You don’t even have to use that classic lawn mower crank move, simply push the start button and you’re ready to go. Battery-powered means no gas emissions and also a quieter mower. The downside to this is that they can’t run for as long as a gas-powered so if your yard is on the bigger side, around a half-acre, you might need to recharge in the middle.
Why is a Push Lawn or Self Propelled Mower good for you?
You can either push the lawn mower or let it push itself. Push mowers are usually more affordable but they can be harder to maneuver around the yard as you’re doing almost all the work. Self-propelled, meaning they just move forward on their own, like a car in drive, models are much easier to use. They come in a few different drive versions:
- Front-wheel drive: This is best for flat lawns. The mower is driven by the front wheels so you can push down on the handle and easily turn in and out of corners.
- Rear-wheel drive: If your lawn is on a slope, you’ll want a mower with rear-wheel drive that will push the mower up the hill and not let the front tires lose traction.
- All-wheel drive: The best of both worlds, these mowers are the equivalent of a 4×4 jeep: able to take any terrain you throw at it without losing a beat. Uphill, downhill, varying grass terrain, these motors can handle it all with ease.
What to consider when shopping for a walk-behind Lawn Mower?
There are a few things to consider when purchasing the lawn mower that’s right for you:
- Yard size: As we stated above, gas and electric mowers run for different lengths of time. Gas mowers will run for longer than electric so if your home is more than half an acre you’re better off with gas, otherwise you might have to recharge the mower in the middle of the yard.
- Two or Three functions: what does the mower do with the grass it cuts? It depends on whether it’s a two-function mower or a three-function mower. Two-functions mulch and bag the grass. Mulching is good for your lawn because it returns grass clippings into the ground, creating a healthier lawn. Three-function mowers perform the same functions as two, but they also side discharge. Side discharging is useful for mowing areas with tall weeds or non-turf grasses. So if you have an area of your yard that’s more forest than savannah, a three-function mower is helpful.
- Deck: Deck size refers to the area your lawn mower can cover at once and so the bigger the deck size the fewer passes you will have to makeover your whole lawn.
Compbrella Pick for Top 3 Best Walk Behind Lawn Mower
Best Overall Lawn Mower: Ego Power+, The Ego 21 inches is a great purchase for the home. Easy to use and versatile we highly recommend it.
Most Environmentally Friendly: Greenworks Pro 21 Inch, Lightweight and environmentally friendly, we easily recommend this lawnmower.
Most Powerful: Honda HRX217K5VKA, Excellent technological and safety advantages will give you a leg up on all your neighbors when summer comes around.
Why you should trust us
Compbrella was founded by a group of entrepreneurs with over twenty years of experience working in retail, electronics, and e-commerce. Over the years, we have spent endless hours writing and revising consumer guides, interviewing customers about the products they enjoyed using and talking to an untold number of technicians about why some products fail and others don’t. We draw from our own experiences about what products a household needs and what we use in our everyday lives. If we’re reviewing a product, it means we one of us has it in their home and thinks it, or a different version would be a great addition to your homes. We stand by our recommendations because we make them to each other first.