Compbrella Guide to The Best Flexible Garden Hose
Garden hoses aren’t the sexiest or most exciting item you’ll buy for your home but they are essential. Keeping your lawn or garden well irrigated is crucial for the home after all. You’ll need to choose a hose that suits your home and can handle daily use.
What kind of materials Flexible Garden Hose made from?
Garden hoses are usually made from vinyl, rubber, or a combination of the two materials. Vinyl is a very good choice for mild climates and lighter tasks. They’re usually reinforced but they’re not as durable as rubber hoses. Hoses are constructed by different layers, called ply. The more ply the hose has, the more durable it is. Rubber hoses are more expensive and weigh more than vinyl, but they are tougher, more durable, and can carry hot water without scalding you.
Hoses made from rubber and vinyl are usually priced in between the two other materials, with rubber giving the hose its flexibility and durability while using vinyl keeps the hose at a lighter weight. Although not as common, some hoses also incorporate nylon and rayon in the construction to boost strength and durability.
Why do you need a Flexible Garden Hose?
Depending on why you need the hose, you may have to buy different types.
- Standard garden: This is for generally easy watering and cleaning tasks.
- Soaker hose: This hose uses porous walls so water seeps into the plants and won’t damage them.
- Sprinkler hose: This option will actually save you water. It has a flat base on the bottom and uses holes in the hose to create a mist-like rain. This is excellent for lawn and garden watering.
- Coiled hose: This hose uses special springs to keep it tightly coiled, making it ideal for hand watering small areas.
- Expandable: When filled with water, this scrunchy hose expands to up to three times its length making it good for small yards and gardens.
- Camper: These hoses have nontoxic cores, meaning they’re safe for drinking water so they’re ideal for taking on the road in recreational vehicles as a multi-use hose
What features to look for when shopping for Flexible Garden Hose?
When you’re looking for the hose that is right for you consider the following parameters.
- Length: Hoses come between 25 and 100 feet, but longer isn’t always better. The longer the hose is the harder it is to control and maneuver. To figure out the length you need to measure the distance from the spigot to the farthest point in your yard.
- Size: Hose diameters range from 0.5 – 0.75 inches. Larger diameters are good for big jobs that require heavy water flow.
- Fittings: This is where the hose attaches to the water source. They come in metal and plastic. Metal is more durable but harder to close on the spigot.
- Nozzle: Different nozzles will match different needs so it’s important to buy the one that’s right for you.
– Pistol grip nozzles allow you to adjust the pressure and style of spray.
– Watering wands extend your reach by over two feet and are great for tasks that are difficult to reach.
–Fans have wide mouths that spray a wide spray of water and are perfect for watering delicate gardens.
–Fireman nozzles put out big bursts of water making them ideal for large jobs.
Compbrella Pick for Top 3 Best Flexible Garden Hose
Best Overall: Elk & Bear Expandable Garden Hose – This hose comes with a spray nozzle and is made from durable materials like latex and brass. It has a no-tangle feature that means it will keep its shape and roll up and store easily. It expands to three times its size when filled with water and is lightweight. Its lifetime guarantee means Elk & Bear stand by its product and gives you confidence that it can handle any job.
2nd Best: Josy&co. 50 ft Expandable Garden Hose – This hose is made of a triple layer of latex and covered in nylon making it very flexible and durable. It comes with extra nozzles and accessories so it is more versatile for all your needs. This is an excellent pick if you have hard to reach garden beds.
Best Value: J. MILLMAN & SONS EXPANDABLE GARDEN HOSE – This hose has elastic woven covering increasing durability and giving it a long life. Its accessories and fittings will let you use it with a greater variety of water spigots and the lifetime money-back guarantee means you can use it a lot without worrying about fraying and losing money.