Compbrella Guide for Choosing The Best Smartwatch of 2019
Smartwatches have exploded in popularity over the past few years as both a fashionable status symbol and a useful supplement to the smartphones we all carry around. And it’s not just tech firms that offer wearable electronics. Luxury watchmakers like Tag Heuer and Fossil have also gotten in on the trend, producing sleek designs that are as stylish as they are useful, delivering your notifications, apps, and messages right to your wrist.
What types of smartwatches you can find in 2019?
When smartwatches first burst onto the market a few years ago, they were somewhat limited in their functionality and the options consumers had. Today wearable smart technology has branched out into different categories giving you the opportunity to buy something that is just right for you.
- Fitness Smartwatches have been one of the major drivers in this category. These are smartwatches that are meant to track your physical activity, especially while exercising. They include sensors like an accelerometer to measure your speed, gyroscopes to track your movement, and heart rate sensors to make sure you’re keeping fit and healthy.
- Standalone Smartwatches act as supplements to your smartphone. They make and receive phone calls, text messages, and show your app notifications. In a way, these are your basic smartwatches, capable of connecting you to the world around you while paring down excessive features not everyone needs.
- Hybrid Smartwatches are for consumers that like to keep one fit in classic styling while still keeping up with technology. They combine an analog display (like a classic wristwatch) with the functionality of standalone smartwatches.
Luxury Smartwatches are more of a price category than a technological one. They can combine any functions of the fitness or standalone smartwatches but are usually aimed at more wealthy customers. Typically, you’ll find them with higher quality materials, like leather wristbands or faces made from precious metals, so they’re perfect for the executive that likes to keep up to date or as a gift for that special someone you know appreciates the finer things in life.
What functions can you find in smartwatches these days?
Smartwatches today have a variety of functions that can suit every type of consumer.
- Telling time: It’s the most basic function of a watch and has been a must-have function for everyone since the wristwatch was invented. Smartwatches offer you a variety of ways to tell time. Leaving aside hybrid watches that have real mechanical hands, most smartwatches have a digital display that you can set to show the time in an assortment of monochromatic and multi-color displays. This can include an analog display but also a digital one that will add pizzas and style to your wrist.
- Fitness functions: Even if you don’t purchase a device specifically dedicated to fitness, many smartwatches include fitness functions that track your exercise like accelerometers, GPS, and heart-rate monitors. Some smartwatches even have unique functions like an altimeter that shows your altitude, thermometers, and barometers that measure air pressure (perfect for hikers, mountain climbers, and pilots).
- Keeping you connected: Most smartwatches can connect to your smartphone. This allows them to display incoming phone calls and text messages. You can answer right on your watch and even use voice-activated commands to turn voice into text or make phone calls.
- Keep you entertained: Listen to music, watch videos, and even download media files write to your wrist so you’ll never have a dull moment on the go.
How to choose the best smartwatch or you?
Before you take the plunge in the smartwatch deep end, here are a few factors you should examine before making your purchase:
- Notifications: A smartwatch’s main function is to synchronize data between your smartphone and your watch. This can include alarms, emails, social media, appointments and much more. However, not every smartwatch syncs and shows the same data. You’ll need to make sure that the watch includes the notification functions you need.
- Display: Every smartwatch has its own display design. Some are full touchscreens with multiple colors while others are just black and white. This extends to the functionality too. Some will allow you to read a whole email or text message while others will simply notify you that you have these messages waiting on your phone. Think about what you’ll want to do with the watch. Videos? Calendars? Text messages? All will be experienced differently on each unique display.
- Battery life: The battery life of a smartwatch can be anywhere between half a day to over 100 days. This depends on the features that are in use, how often, and how big the internal battery itself is. Are you someone who needs it to run nonstop morning till night or are you a casual user that only needs a few hours of operation like if you’re working out or just wear it to the office? Your answer will change which smartwatch you buy.
- Connections: All smartwatches use Bluetooth to connect and sync your data from your phone. Some also have Wi-Fi connections that allow your watch to be connected to the internet even when your phone is not with you.
- Size and weight: It should go without saying but sometimes people forget that you wear a smartwatch just like you would any other article of clothing or accessory. It has to suit your arm, be comfortable to wear, and, maybe most importantly, look good.
- Compatibility: Before you buy a smartwatch, make sure it is compatible with your smartphone. Apple watches only work with iPhones, but some watches are compatible with Apple or Google OS, so make sure you shop smart or you’ll end up with a dumbwatch instead of a smartwatch.
Compbrella Pick for Top 3 Smartwatches
Best overall: Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch (46mm) Silver (Bluetooth), SM-R800NZSAXAR, This smartwatch from Samsung is powerful enough to run for days on a single charge. It has a variety of media functions while also providing the full range of health and fitness tracking. It’s even water-resistant and swim-ready with a digital display that is so sharp you’ll think it’s an analog watch.
Best design: Apple Watch Series 4, Sleek and sexy, this smartwatch continues Apple’s tradition of top quality design. It has fitness and entertainment functions but also lets you take calls and presents text in an easy and clear display, the biggest Apple Watch display yet.
Best value: Samsung Gear S2 Smartwatch, Samsung continues providing top technology for every price range. The Gear S2 gives you quick access to notifications, apps, and fitness functions. It allows you to track your heart rate and sports scores while still staying affordable and stylish.
Why you should trust us
Compbrella was founded by a group of entrepreneurs with over twenty years experience working in retail, electronics, and e-commerce. Over the years, we have spent endless hours writing and revising consumer guides, interviewing customers about the products they enjoyed using, and talking to an untold number of technicians about why some products fail and others don’t. We draw from our own experiences about what products a household needs and what we use in our everyday lives. If we’re reviewing a product, it means we one of us has it in their home and thinks it, or a different version, would be a great addition to your homes. We stand by our recommendations because we make them to each other first.