Compbrella Guide for Choosing the Air Purifiers in the market
We are all aware today of how pollution is carried through the air and causes many health issues. Simply put, an air purifier filters the air around from dust, pollen, and other allergens that cause us allergic reactions and generally make us less healthy. Air purifiers work by trapping airborne contaminants. Depending on what kind of purifier you buy you will trap different contaminants. Some work better filtering out bacteria and mold while others are more adept at regular dust and dust mites.
What types of air purifiers are the best on the market?
Different air purifiers use different technology to target different pollutants in the air. Before you make your purchase you’ll need to know the difference and what each is good for.
- HEPA Filters: These are the standard for air filters, so you’ll see them the most often. HEPA filters suck the air in through the machine, trapping particles in its net. These filters will trap 99.7% of particles. As the simplest filters, they are also the most reliable. Maintenence is a bit of a chore. You’ll have to make sure the filter remains clean and replace it once a year.
- Ionizers: Ionizers work by emitting charged particles into the air. These attract pollutants and cause them to bunch up, falling to the floor so you can clear the room when you sweep. Ionizers are easy to use and have low maintenance. The downside of them is they produce ozone, a pollutant that irritates the lung, so if you are asthmatic or have other lung sensitivities ionizers are not recommended.
- Electrostatic Purifiers: Like ionizers, theses purifiers use charged particles to attract pollutants. However, instead of emitting them into the air, pollutants are attracted and caught in the machine itself. Like ionizers, they are not recommended for asthmatics, however, they are excellent for removing odors from the air, so if you are a smoker this is a good purchase to make.
- Activated Carbon: These are most often used together with HEPA filters. They target noxious gasses and odors in the air and eliminate them, so when used with the HEPA you have a clean and odorless atmosphere in your home.
What is an air purifier good for?
As we mentioned before, beyond just cleaning the air of your space, air purifiers also have specific purposed based on your needs:
- Allergies: If you suffer from a sensitivity to pollen or allergies, you should purchase an air purifier made for allergy relief. HEPA filters are the most recommended for this.
- Asthma: If you’re asthmatic or are sensitive to odors and chemical pollutants consider purchasing a HEPA filter along with an activated carbon one. Together, these will keep your air clean and pure.
- Smoke: If you’re a smoker or a cook, you’ll need a purifier that will remove the odors and smoke. We recommend an ionizer or electrostatic purifier that will neutralize the smells and sucks in the gasses circulating in your home.
- Pets: If you’re a pet lover, you know that they leave hair, odors, and danders everywhere. This is unhealthy to anyone, but especially to your friends that suffer from pet allergies. HEPA air purifiers will do the work of filtering the air and keep you and your friends healthy.
What to look for before choosing the air purifier for you?
- Size: Before you make your purchase, make sure to measure the room you intend to use the air purifier in. Air purifiers come in Three different sizes: small for rooms up to 299 square feet; medium for rooms between 300 to 699 square feet; and large for rooms between 700 and 1900 square feet. There are also models for the whole home.
- Mobility: If you plan on moving the air purifier from room to room, perhaps if you’re only buying one to try it out, we recommend looking for a model with caster wheels and handles that will allow you to wheel the air purifier easily around your home.
- Additional features: Air purifiers can come with any number of additional features such as digital controls from your smartphone, varying fan speeds, filter change indicators, air quality sensors, and programmable timers. None of these are must-haves necessarily, however they will increase the convenience of the air purifier and give you greater control of the purifier’s performance.
Compbrella Pick for Top 3 Air Purifiers
Best Overall: LEVOIT LV-H132 Purifier – With its 3 stage filtrations system, including HEPA and activated carbon, this air purifier will clear your air of allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, and mold, keeping your air fresh and crisp. It has ultra-silent operation so you can keep it running while you sleep and not be bothered by the noise, while at the same time it has a nightlight allowing you to make adjustments in the middle of the night as needed.
Best Design: Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier – This sleek and minimalist air purifier is perfect for your living room. It’s attractive enough so it doesn’t look like a home appliance while still cleaning the air of pollen and other allergens while reducing odor as well. It not only has a timer to save electricity, but it also has an automatic mode that detects pollution in the air and shuts down if none is detected for thirty minutes!
Best Value: PARTU HEPA Air Purifier – Featuring HEPA and active carbon filters and a fragrance sponge that emits pleasent fragrances from essential oils, thisbair purifier is a great offer for those looking to see how this amazing device can change their lives while not committing to such a big purchase.
Why you should trust us
Compbrella was founded by a group of entrepreneurs with over twenty years experience working in retail, electronics, and e-commerce. Over the years, we have spent endless hours writing and revising consumer guides, interviewing customers about the products they enjoyed using, and talking to an untold number of technicians about why some products fail and others don’t. We draw from our own experiences about what products a household needs and what we use in our everyday lives. If we’re reviewing a product, it means we one of us has it in their home and thinks it, or a different version, would be a great addition to your homes. We stand by our recommendations because we make them to each other first.